In a morning we generally have a set routine, whether its a well thought out ritual or just the same old, alarm clock, brush teeth, dash to work job. When it comes to an evening, however, I feel we need that slow, beautiful routine that will guide us gently into a nighttime slumber. We have a routine with our children, we don't just plonk them into bed without a nice bath and bedtime story, so why not ourselves?
A Self Care Evening Routine
Of course, this is an example routine and you can pick and choose as to what suits you and your wellbeing the most.
- Light a candle and write down 3 three things that you are grateful for today. You don't need to think too much about this, it can be things like, the beautiful sun shining through the clouds, having wonderful friends that are supporting you, a lovely new book you have just bought etc. Then write 3 things you want to achieve tomorrow. Always having goals to accomplish makes you feel like you have conquered the day and you can relax easier if you know what you set out to do and have done it. Even if you don't manage to do it, you can always save it for the next day.
- Put on some relaxing music, ideally something that you wouldn't normally listen to in the day, some chilled acoustic music perhaps. There are plenty of relaxing playlists available on Spotify.
- Cleanse your face and perform your skincare ritual. I love to add some beautiful smelling hyaluronic acid mists like this BYBI one and use my jade roller to really feel special.
- Dry Brush your body. This gets rid of all the toxins in your body and helps to reduce cellulite. Miranda Kerr swears by this technique. Your body will thank you.
- Run a bath with some dried rose petals, a few drops of essential oils or a bath oil like this one and exfoliate your body with a luxurious body scrub. I like to put crystals around the bath also to get that extra de stress and they will absorb any negative energy.
- Moisturise yourself with a nourishing body cream, balm or oil, definitely choose a natural and organic formula to make sure you are not putting any toxins into your body. I love the BYBI Babe Balm especially for those really dry patches.
- Get into your softest pyjamas and let all of those beautiful products sink into the skin.
- Turn your phone off or on airplane mode and then read for half an hour before your bed time. Whether it is fiction, or non-fiction, reading will take you into another place and get your mind away from your work day and ready to sleep.
Once you have done this, I can guarantee you will be de-stressed and ready to release the day and wind down ready to start a new day.